VOIP is the fastest growing trend in telephone service. What is VOIP? It is a way to get telephone service through the internet connection you already have in your home. Here are the important things you should know about VOIP and VOIP vendors:
- VOIP stand for Voice Over Internet Protocol, this simply means that a service provider can digitally convert voice data and transmit it over the internet signal currently installed on your home instead of using a hardwired telephone service. It is a way to make and receive phone calls using your computer or an added device that works with your internet service.
- Before you can decide if VOIP is a good service switch for you, you need to find out the type of internet connection you have at your home. For the best results when using VOIP you want to have a high quality, high speed internet connection. While VOIP will work with lower quality connections the service may seem choppier or not as reliable.
- VOIP can be used directly from your computer through the audio devices already installed. This means that if your computer has a microphone and speakers you can most likely make and receive phone calls directly from your computer.
- Many VOIP providers offer an adapter that allows you to use your existing telephone to make VOIP phone calls just as you would if you were making a phone call from a traditional phone line. These adapters simply plug into an internet connection and then into the base of your cordless home phone. Some providers will send you a cordless phone and base with the adapter built directly in.
- VOIP offers additional features that may have cost more when you were using a traditional phone line. Where you might have to pay for features such as call waiting and call forwarding on a traditional phone line, these often come standard with VOIP service. In addition you can also expect to receive a variety of online access and even some additional online features depending on the specifics of your provider. For one, you can often access your account online, make changes to services, and even set forwarding and other call preferences.
- When choosing VOIP you will most likely be pleased at the difference in cost. Many VOIP service providers offer services for prices that are substantially lower than traditional land line phone services.
- There are some limitations to VOIP that are important to understand as well. Because VOIP works with your internet connection, it is vital to have a reliable internet signal. When you internet is down, so is your phone connection. This can also mean that when you have a power outage your phone may not work either. Also, make sure when you choose VOIP that you ensure that your phone number and line are registered and connected with 911 services. In some areas there could be a delay in an emergency if you don’t verify this connection.
VOIP is becoming the telephone service most sought by homeowners as well as businesses. Costing less and offering many more features as well as reliable service you might be able to drastically reduce your telephone costs each month by switching your home phone line to VOIP service.